Jason - Yorktown, Indiana
Themes: Christianity

This I Believe: I Was Once Lost but Now I’m Found

Growing up I was raised in a family full of six brothers and sisters. Myself being the middle child I was always the one to take chances and make sometimes-dumb decisions. Growing up I did a lot of experimentation with drugs and alcohol and survived an accident that I will never forget.

I grew up in a Catholic family going to church every Sunday and even being an alter boy for many years. Yet, once I hit my teens, I went into a rebellion stage. Experimenting with a variety of drugs, but mostly marijuana took up the majority of my teenage years. Two turning points happened when I was about twenty-two years old that changed me to look for spiritual guidance.

My first experience was getting a phone call from a friend stating that one of our friends were in the hospital. He was found face down in his apartment overdosed on heroin. He happened to die twice on the way to the hospital and had to be revived. Seeing him in that hospital bed was a turning point for me. I vowed to get off drugs and have a fresh start.

About six months later, it was a beautiful summer afternoon when I was driving down the street. I was driving around a blind corner when I noticed something starting to run on the side of the road. I looked over and saw an eight point buck head for the front of my car. I hit the deer head on and slid into a ditch through a fence and through two trees. I am a strong believer in guardian angels. Now some may say it was it was a figure of my imagination. However, before I hit two trees there was someone sitting in my passenger seat with me. Originally, it was just me in the car and no one else. I hit a third tree no more than four inches in diameter. Just past this tree was a 25-foot cliff leading to a small creek. To this day I belief who ever was with me saved my life that day.

After that day, the Lord has been a big part of my life. I strive and commit myself to be a follower of Jesus Christ. I am happy to say that I have been drug free for over three years now. I found the guidance I need in the Lord and that is why I was once lost but now I am found. God Bless!