Sabah - Chicago, Illinois

Hungry, Yet?

I like food. And I think food is important in everyone’s lives. I believe a big part of what makes holidays and parties and events so wonderful is the food. What makes thanksgiving so amazing is most often the meal. It doesn’t even have to be the most amazing dish in the world; it could just be some heartwarming food. Food, to me, is the basis of what can often bring people together and can represent so much more than just being any pile of glop on a plate.

Food is something that can never be replaced. Of course, everyone has to eat for necessity, but when I eat for the sheer joy of it, it holds so much more meaning. Every time I smell that one specific scent that can make me excited about dinner, it’s quite amazing. And this excitement extends beyond just dinner or that food item, to excitement about spending time with the people I love over a nice home cooked meal. Food can bring people together in so many ways. I always love to bring food for my loved ones whenever I make something new or someone’s favorite dish, and it’s a nice feeling when they like it and it makes their day a little bit happier.

Food can work on so many levels. When people feel down, they often find relief in their food. I always run to anything that’s chewy and I can eat in bulk, like bread or homemade cookies, and it really does make me feel better. Favorite foods are another great enhancer. From Ursula that comes from the deepest darkest seas to plain white bread, everyone has a favorite food. Finding out someone’s favorite food is the same as yours can be an exciting experience.

Coming from a culture where food is big, I have developed a great love for food and I think everyone should be open to new tastes and flavors. People can go out to lunch and have so much fun trying new foods and maybe just goofing off with it sometimes. Why do you think everyone loves to play with their food? It’s fun! Food makes me happy and I think it should make everyone happy. Often, a proposal is made after a scrumptious meal, or a new friendship can start over a friendly lunch. Food is the universal invitation to love.

When I eat, it means I am not hungry and when I eat with my family, it means I am not alone. And especially, when I eat something someone has made just for me, it means I am loved.