Adei - miami, Florida

I Believe each Song is a Story

Music has been apart of my life since I can remember. It affects my mood and also depicts it. Having learned how to play a musical instrument, I have gained a more in-depth look at music as a whole.

As each song plays I feel the wide range of emotions in the piece by simply listening to the changing of notes and rhythm of each musician. The rise and fall of each arpeggio is a chapter in a story told by instruments.

When I listen to a musical piece, I immediately recognize a beginning, middle, and an end. Listening to the instruments, my mind takes on a certain emotion which I refer to as tone, this tone changes through each phase of the story. The direction of the entire musical piece depends on the key choice and accentuation. It is quite a feeling as you soak up the emotions of each musician, letting the music transcend upon you note by note.

When I listen to Giant steps by John Coltrane, I can’t help but tape my foot to the solid upbeat groove produced by the piano, drums and bass guitar. This is the setting of the story and the window to the tone. Once Coltrane starts to improvise on top of them, the story unfolds to introduce the main character. This introduction is short lived is short lived as the group changes tempo and rhythm. They jump right into the most crucial part of the story, the middle. It conveys the struggle of the main character, the plot twist, and most importantly the climax. The climax is my favorite part of the story because this is when the soloist really starts to let loose. Soaring from riff to fermata with absolute precision and quality, Coltrane implements his own personal narration to the already boiling plot. This may be the deciding factor in whether the main character lives or dies, wins or loses, gets the girl or not.

The ending brings the story full circle. The narrators revisit the key points and original tempo of the piece. The last notes of the song reverberating in my mind throughout the better part of the day.

I believe each song is a story told by the thoughts and emotions of a group of musicians. An innovative way to peek into the very lives of each musician, and the story he wants to tell.