Audrey - Champaign, Illinois

This I believe in the saying that my mom has always told me, do not judge people because you never know what happens “behind closed doors”. This basically translates to; you should not judge another because you do not know what is really going on in their life and who they really are when you are not around. There have been many instances in my life where this belief has been reinforced.

I suppose that the term perfection can be very subjective, but there is a common understanding of this term throughout many. For years before I went to college I had always been a bit envious of my one friend’s parents. It seemed a picture perfect relationship; both of them were friendly, upbeat, happy, and madly in love. Then to my shock and dismay she drops a bomb on me that out of no where her parents are getting a divorce. Although it seemed out of no where to me, indeed it came from somewhere, and that somewhere was behind closed doors. Out in public her parents seemed to truly get along. They fooled a lot of people, mainly myself, into believing that they loved each other, but when the public eye was not watching they were furiously attacking one another. So, I had passed judgment that they had the perfect marriage, but I was sadly mistaken.

As if this first instance was not convincing enough, this next one about my own friend of seven years should reinforce my belief completely. She is a good friend of mine and we had run track and cross country together for many years so we share a common passion for not only running but fitness as well. My friend must have entirely misconstrued the understandings of fitness and to her own interpretations she felt that being bulimic for seven years was fine. She hid this major illness from the rest of the world. I was shocked to learn that when I would drop her off at her house, and once she closed the door, she would throw her food up. Indeed it has been upsetting to learn about a friends struggle with bulimia and really never knowing about it. Whenever she was alone and away from the public eye she was in her element of bulimia. I admit that before I had always been envious of the fact that she could eat a decent amount of food and still stay slender. I suppose I had just assumed it was the constant running we were doing, I was sadly mistaken.

It seems as though sometimes things do not appear the way they really are. This has been true in these two cases. Passing judgment at first or being envious of another is avoided more frequently now because I believe that you never know what happens “behind closed doors”.