Donald - Champaign, Illinois

When you smile, the world smiles with you. Although the freedom of speech allows one to say what they feel, I believe one should not speak unless they are respecting others. When establishing a position, however one may feel about the people related to the topic, I feel that one can still concede a few points in able to show respect to the opposition.

When applying this concept to argument, one can present their facts and position while still respecting the others side’s view and opinions. Just because you feel they are wrong, doesn’t mean you have to be a jerk about it.

One of my largest pet peeves that I am bothered with is when someone shows blatant disrespect for others. Whether it is talking and disrupting class while the professor is presenting or a basic unawareness of oneself, everyone deserves a certain amount of respect. Now I am not one to say that I do not make fun of others occasionally, but it is always in good fun and never meant to hurt. I believe that a simple showing of respect from one person to another can go a long way towards allowing people to be able to relate to one another and see things one a similar plane.

The story behind this is from a family vacation when I was maybe 9 or 10. We were visiting Minnesota at a resort owned by a friend of the family and my family and I were dining at a local restaurant and we had a waitress that we knew. I had ordered the soup and when the soup came I had made a snide remark about not spilling any of it while delivering it. The quip was not meant to be anything but a smart-ass comment, but once she had left, my dad reminded me that everyone, no matter whom he or she is or what they do, they should be given equal amounts of respect. I remember how bad I felt after I had apologized to the woman and this drives me to apply the concept daily to people I encounter.