Justin - Tuscola, Illinois

I still remember standing around the hospital bed, looking at a human being I could hardly recognize. This person, with one of the scariest looking faces I have ever seen, was hooked up to all sorts of machines. I would never want anyone to witness this horrible sight. The person lying in that bed on that cold, December morning was my dad.

I still remember the sound of my best friend’s voice as he called to tell me the news. He was panicking to the point that he could not speak. He hung up, and my mom called minutes later. She told me my friend was on his way to drive me to the hospital because my dad had been in a horrible car accident.

I still remember walking into that hospital room. Dad was unconscious for days. I remember staying in the hospital that first night with my mom and brother. The nightmares I had that night will stay with me forever. I dreamt of my dad’s best friends and my friends coming through the visitation line. I remember the funeral. I even remember what these people said to me during that dream.

I still remember seeing his car. The entire passenger side was pushed up against the driver’s side. The driver’s seat was covered with blood. The paramedics found my dad on his knees facing the backseat. Numerous bones were broken, and organs were damaged. People don’t survive these types of wrecks. I’ll never forget that first night crying as we prayed around my dad’s bed. Would I ever hear him speak again?

I still remember when my dad first opened his eyes. He couldn’t talk, but he wanted to know what happened. As we told him, tears started running down his face. This was the first time I had ever seen my dad cry. Not only did his body hurt, but he also worried about our family’s future. Would he be there to see me graduate from college?

I still remember months later when he told us that one of the things he remembers doing was praying. Dad does not attend church every Sunday, but he is a Christian. He prayed that if God found a way to heal him, then he would start going to church more often. He prayed that my brother, mom, and I would not have to see him suffer like this much longer. And then, dad gradually started to recover.

Just a few weeks ago dad went back to work full time, fully recovered from this life-altering event. His prayers were answered. Our prayers were answered. I always had questions about the works of God, but now I truly believe. I now live my life through God, and make all my decisions based on what God would think was best. God saved my dad’s life, and my family will never forget this. And this I believe: there is a God, and He does perform miracles.