Alyson - Gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: parenthood

I believe in my mother. I believe in her strong will and determination. I believe in her guiding heart and her soothing words. I believe in her love. Throughout the years many hardships have confronted my mother, but she has faced all of them head on with her head held high. Two devastating natural disasters, a fire and a hurricane, have taken all of her belongings twice in her short lifetime. Instead of complaining, she perseveres in raising her children and in living her life. Not only have natural disasters turned her life upside down, but two abusive marriages have as well. My mother’s first marriage ended over nine hundred miles away from her childhood home. After the divorce she was left alone to raise two very small children. Although I am positive raising my brother and I alone was a highly stressful and heartbreaking time in her life, she never let her devastation show. In working two jobs my mother provided a full lifestyle and childhood for her children. After the divorce of the second marriage my mother was once again raising children alone, but now instead of two small children, one teenager, one child, and a baby. I believe in the strong belief of faith my mother carries with her. Although there has been great pain and sorrow in sorrow in her life, my mother’s faith has not teetered away from her beliefs once. As a small child, even though my family was technically poor, my mother worked two jobs to give me, my brother, and my sister not only every need, but every desire she could. I remember a particular period in my life in which the selfish desires of childhood overcame my common sense. As the oldest of her children I have always been ‘mommy’s helper.’ Even now my mother and I joke that she is the owner of the household while I am the manager. Although I held my station in my family at high regard, and knew there was not extra money to spend, I needed, not wanted, but needed, the same designer clothing of the other sixth graders. At the time most of my clothing came from thrift stores but it was always clean and ironed. I knew my mother could not afford the designer clothing and yet, I begged and begged for it until she relented. After a few weeks, I had my designer clothes. I wore them with pride and felt wonderful. The ignorance of childhood allowed me to wear my clothing in pure bliss. I now realize the importance of money, and the importance of how hard my mother works. Since the difficult time in my childhood my family has grown and prospered. My mother is still a hard worker and strong-willed woman. Because of the sacrifices she made for my family and the love she has always shown me, my beliefs stand strong behind my mother. I believe in the woman and the mother she is. My mother is my hero.