Courtney - Chesapeake, Virginia
Themes: love

True Love

Throughout my nineteen years of life, I have had several different boyfriends. They were always cute and there was always some sort of attraction. I said “I love you” to a lot of them, but I never really meant it. Most of the time I said it because they were saying it to me, and I knew they would feel bad if I did not say it back. Until recently, I never knew what true love was, until that one day I discovered it. I believe in true love.

Two and a half years ago, I started dating the man of my dreams. We met at our lockers in high school, when I was a sophomore. We instantly hit it off and slowly we became best friends. I had a crush on him from the moment I met him, but as I became his friend, I always felt liked I loved him. I would constantly ask and tell myself, “Why are you doing this Courtney?” “He probably doesn’t like you back.” “Don’t fall for him.” But I fell for him more and more everyday. Every time I would see him in the hall between classes, my face would light up.

Eventually I expressed my feelings to him, and he told me that he had the exact same ones, so we started dating. When I became his girlfriend it made me the happiest girl in the entire world; I was on cloud nine. Nothing in the world had ever made me feel this way; I knew that this was true love. The first time that he told me he loved me was one day after school. I remember right after he said it, I began to cry and I hugged him and told him that I loved him too. As our relationship progressed, it became stronger and stronger. Our love made me motivated. I wanted to go to school, just so I could see him. I did everything my parents told me to so I could go to his house that weekend or so he could come over here. If there was a weekend that I was not able to see him, I felt like my life had crumbled.

Leaving for college was the hardest day of my life. I left behind my boyfriend who I loved dearly. I was used to seeing my boyfriend every day of the week and then every weekend, but since I was at college, I was only going to be able to see him twice a month. This was a huge cut in time. I did not think I would be able to make it through, but true love helped me. The love between me and my boyfriend guides me through each and every day. It gives meaning to my life, without it I would not know where to go or what to do. I look forward to his phone calls at the end of every day and the time I get to spend talking to him and to the weekends that I get to go home and spend all my time with him. True love helps me get through each and every day knowing that I have someone back at home waiting for me, that means the world to me, and I know he has the exact same feelings. I believe in true love.