Lorena - Miami, Florida

Even After Death

I believe there isn’t a stronger bond between two individuals than that between a parent and a son or daughter. Friendships grow distant, marriages divorce, but parent-child relationships never completely dissolve. Since the moment we are born we are dependent on our parents, whether biological or step parents. When we are young we tend to be so dependent on them that we even seem to be an extension of their bodies, and such a loving relationship becomes tighter and stronger as we become adults.

I believe that childhood fights with parents, as well as other disagreements between parent and child, are not an indication that such a beautiful relationship is coming to an end. Fights, whether small like not talking to each other, or big like leaving the house forever, are all part of the process of getting to know one another in such a complex relationship.

Each individual thinks he or she is unique and superior to the other; they both do not realize that they are equally vulnerable, and that age has nothing to do with it. I have had my own fights with my parents. Sometimes I have even wished to be far away from them, but such a way of thinking does not last long because deep inside me I have the immortal seed of the great love I currently have and will always have for my parents. I love my parents to death and I believe that every individual who has grown in a healthy family environment with their own parents, loves them just as well. Disputes, disagreements, fights, all come and go, but there is a force stronger within us all that keeps this bond between parent and child unbreakable.

The older I grow, the more similar I become to my parents without realizing such a change. In a parent and child relationship sometimes the roles of each member interchange, meaning that the child becomes parent of the parent. I remember being told by my mother the other day how careful I should be while driving late at night, since it is at that time when driving could be more dangerous. I always laughed when she told me that, since I thought to myself that at night is when there are fewer cars in the street, thus less chance for an accident to occur.

Unfortunately, one night I witnessed a car accident at an intersection; one of the drivers almost died. I was behind the car that had crashed into the other car. As I nervously drove home in the silence of my car that night, I realized that my mother was right. From that moment on, I always tell my sisters and even my own parents, who also arrive home late at night, to be careful because driving at night is and could be even more dangerous than driving during the day.

Parents love their children and while doing so they provide advice, support, establish rules to protect them, and more. No other bond between two individuals is so strong. A mother will have restless nights in order to stop the heartbreaking cry of her newborn baby, a father will carelessly work for hours just to bring food to his children, and many sons and daughters are willing to risk their own lives for that of their parents.

I always feel protected when I am with my parents, and although compared to me they are older and weaker, they are still my zone of comfort and protection. For instance, years ago when I was in middle school I was given a detention for getting into a fight with another girl; it was for my own protection that I got involved. As they gave me a detention, I could only think about what my parents were going to say when they found out. To my surprise, my parents told me everything was fine since I did it to protect myself. After that conversation with my parents, I did not care about what the teacher said to me for getting into that fight because I knew that my parents were going to be there to support me.

Every once in a while I lie in bed, with my eyes closed, and fear the day of my parents’ death. That is my biggest fear. I then cry and wish to never have to visit their grave while I am still alive, as is supposed to happen in the cycle of life. I believe that in a parent and child relationship a bond is created. This bond is mystical, beautiful, unique, strong, and unbreakable, which not even death can dissolve because it is after death when most of us remember our parents’ words “…wait until you have your own children and you will see how right we are.”— Indeed they were.