William - Gulfport, Mississippi

I take pride in being a very simple person. I live and work at my own slow and steady pace, without feeling the need to better myself. That may sound strange to some people, but I have no need to fill my head with disillusions of grandeur. I am what I am; an everyday, average joe.

That said, I find myself constantly bewildered by the pace at which the world moves around me. Everyone I know is constantly moving, always having to rush off to some terribly important meeting. No thought is given on how long it has been since they have sat down; all focus is on arriving to their destination and receiving their next orders. I feel that, despite all that you might accomplish at such a pace, it’s equally important to make the most of each and every moment of my life.

Oh, sure, I tried the fast pace lifestyle. When I was very young, I was terribly ill. This forced me to be home schooled, and my education suffered because of it. While I sat at home and battled my illness, my peers were furthered their education. I was left far behind and it frightened me. What good am I if I don’t catch up to them?

Then came high school; I was placed in public school for the first time. It was then I realized that it had become a race to the finish line; being home schooled for the majority of my life had put me far behind my peers and I desperately needed to catch up. There were so many classes that were required for graduation, and I had hardly ever heard of most of them! So for four long years I ran as fast as I could toward that finish line, determined to graduate with the rest of my class. What did I get in return? A piece of paper telling me I had done a good job. That made it all worth it, right?

What I’m trying to say is, never rush to anything. Nothing in life is worth hurrying to. Take your time and enjoy life; you’ve only got one.