Sophie - asheville, North Carolina
Themes: tolerance

Sophie Guciardo

If you ask someone their opinion on gay marriage, most people will tell you that they’re in favor of equal rights for homosexuals. Almost everyone thinks that gays and lesbians should be treated just like anyone else but it’s different when you’re talking about gay marriage. Over half of all people in the United States oppose gay marriage, which is strange because three fourths of the people are supportive of gay rights. So that means that many of the people who are even really in favor of gays having rights, oppose their marriage. I believe that anyone who wants to get married should be able to.

I think that many people believe that when two homosexuals get married, it ruins the sanctity of marriage, but how can marriage be so sacred when it’s introduced to places like Las Vegas after a night of drinking? People marry fast and divorce faster, leaving their kids behind, broken from the experience. While many gays cheat and lie, the majority doesn’t. Plus, so many heterosexual couples now days are having affairs, it’s not a quality argument.

Many people think that gays act like really high maintenance girls, but that’s not true. Everybody acts differently. For example I really look up to John Amaechi. He is an NBA basketball player, who averaged 6.2 points and 2.6 rebounds before retiring. He was the first NBA player to ever come out. He made it clear that just because you’re gay, doesn’t mean you’re not interested in the same things as other men or woman.

Some people think that being gay is just not natural for a “real American” but it is. America is a free country that is based on a separation in church and state. How can the government decide who we love? They don’t have a right to control our feelings. If people feel like it’s morally wrong, then that’s their business.

A lot of people are saying that legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. They think that people may even wish to marry their pets, but it’s just so not true. Plus, even if it was true, it wouldn’t mater. Who would it be bothering?

Nobody should hate because somebody is gay, and you shouldn’t use “gay” or “fag” as an insult. Gay marriage obviously isn’t just about sex, because gay sex is legal. Gay marriage is about two men or women of the same sex standing in front of their friends and familys promising to spend the rest of their lives together and there’s nothing creepy about that. Gay marriage is about love and only love.