Leslie - Cool Ridge, West Virginia
Themes: illness

There is a crazy, good song I ran across, called “Jackie She Found It in Jesus.” It is actually about how people are always searching for peace of mind. This is oh, so cheesy, but peace of mind is actually part of why I enjoy the scientific process and am interested in biochemistry. My body hurts all the time. My immune system actually is attacking my own body, everyday, and I am very interested in humanitarian causes, especially human suffering due to disease, and not only my own. The thoughts of people hurting and dying disturb me, but somehow the idea of doing research comforts me. I have a great burden to help people and the way I feel that I am contributing to all lives and my own inner peace is by discovering the secrets of all that is alive.

I believe the best, and only way for me, to find this peace of mind, and to find comfort in my body and soul, is to figure out how my body, your body, all the bodies, are working, and especially, why they are not working. Understanding, is the first step to finding the solution to what pains all of us. The way I envision the most fulfilling life for myself, is working to discover how life happens and what alters the course of it, through research in biochemistry. I can see myself, many years from now, still in a laboratory, and still in the library, trying to decide what the next step should be on my part of the journey to understand life through science.