Destiny - Biloxi, Mississippi
Themes: setbacks

I believe that the Mississippi Gulf Coast will rebuild and become a better place. Katrina hit the Gulf Coast hard and destroyed a lot of homes, some, dating back to the eighteen hundreds. There was a loss of lives, which was tragic, and peoples lives were disrupted for months, and some are still on the mend. Out of all the chaos there came a feeling of helplessness, but then all the volunteers began coming from other states, helping those in need. Truck loads of food and clothing was sent from people, churches, and other organizations. The Red Cross although slow at the beginning was very helpful in giving money and other help as needed. My family needed money and we got it from the Red Cross and help from the local church that we attend. Friends and neighbors helped us with the cleaning of our property.

I believe in situations like hurricanes, the state and local government will help rebuild our coast with low interest loans for small businesses. Rebuilding the coast will be a slow process, but I believe it can be done. I have lived on the coast all of my life and have seen people who suffer from tragedies like a hurricane form a stronger bond with one another, their families, and with their neighbors. I can see many new homes, apartment complexes, and bridge work that is being built; although it is a slow process it is getting done. Construction on the coast is at a high, which is a good thing, because people will soon have to move out of the FEMA trailers and will need places to live.

I believe rebuilding of the Gulf Coast will bring more jobs to the local community and to other people who come to work from out of state. Although the storm destroyed homes and complete neighborhoods, some areas are looking better than before the storm. New buildings, better paved roads and streets being decorated are improving the looks of the coast. New schools are being built for the children, and more roads and highways are improving traffic flow along the coast. I believe the coast will rebound and be a better place to live, and I am proud to be a part of the beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast, my home.