Abir - Chicago, Illinois

Aww Shucks

The media in my world has too great of an impact on me. Every time I watch American Idol I sing along or start to question my own singing abilities and what Simon would say about me. Every time Deal or No Deal comes on, I shout case numbers at the television screen hoping that somehow, the person up there would have heard me and chosen my case.

I adjust my schedule so I can catch the last few minutes of 24 but can spare the extra time when it comes to Grey’s Anatomy because I can always catch last night’s episode the very next day on the internet. I find out Forrest Gump will be on television tomorrow and get psyched to see it for the 49th time. 50th if you count the time I watched it on Telemundo in Spanish. “¡Fugarse Forrest! Fugarse!”

The Ten Commandments comes on every year around the time of Easter. For the past 20 years, my dad has not missed a single airing and until recently, neither have I. We are Muslim by the way. These lessons about religion can be learned in churches, mosques and other religious institutions yet the world finds it more appealing when they can actually observe the sea being parted. Visualization is all the proof anyone needs. Or so I thought when I saw Mr. Armstrong “land on the moon” 10 years later.

When I was younger, I used to say “shucks” because my idol, Barney, used to say it. My dad always yelled at me thinking it was a bad word. Barney was condemned and was my enemy since. I am living proof that television has an effect on the mind, especially on children.

What about a few years later when the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers existed? I was the yellow ranger. I was the saber tooth tiger. I was a fighter. I would start kicking and punching in all directions. I didn’t learn how to do those things through Barney. Oh nosireebobcat. I saw Trini Kwan kicking and punching in all directions. But unlike her, I wasn’t a master in Praying Mantis kung fu so I never really got anywhere except to the kitchen where I would be scolded for knocking things over and the sort. Not only was she teaching me violence, but she gave me false hope that I could one day be a ranger too. After Zordon died though, it just never really worked out.

If I didn’t see the sea being parted, I’d like to think I would’ve been more inclined to read the bible. If Barney was still my friend, I’d like to think that my world would have been more magical. If I had pursued my dream of being the next Mighty Morphin’ Power Ranger, I’d like to think that the world would’ve been a safer place.