Kelsey - Knoxville, Tennessee

The phrase “music is life” is an understatement. Music is so much more than just life. Music is love, music is passion, and without music, there is no life. With the tune of one song, the pain and tears I hold back can come to the surface. With the words of a song, I am able to find answers to problems. Most importantly, with the sound of one song I am able to take a deep breath and relax. Music can change a person’s mood, or life. When I thought I wanted music to be my life, I was mistaken of the true meaning of the phrase “music is life”. I believe that music is much more than just life.

I was very interested in music when I was younger. I wanted to sing my own songs and let my feelings and my music be heard. A professional musician and close friend took me under his wing and showed me the reality of a musician’s life. The experience was a rude awakening. All I could see in a life of music was struggle and competition. I didn’t see a glowing light around the musicians I met and I didn’t see fame or money. What I did see was their passion and love for music. Of course they had dreams of becoming famous and having money, but they were willing to live a life of struggle before they could accomplish their dream. I realized after that point that I did not have the passion and the desire that all of these musicians had for music. I would love to make a living with my music, but I am not willing to struggle for it.

I found that I do believe that music is passion, and music is love, and music is so much more than life. Unfortunately my passion is not as deep as it is for some musicians, but music is in my soul. Instead, I look up to the musicians who make every day a very musical experience. I admire their ambition and their commitment. I believe that music is more than life. You cannot define it.