Richard - Saco, Maine

I Believe in Family

Do you have a family? Let me ask you this instead. Do you love a family member? This could be your mom, dad, step mom, etc. My family is the base of my life and also my main source of guidance. They’re the ones that are there in the beginning to first get you on your feet. They are also there when you graduate from high school to help you “get on your feet” in other ways. My grandparents were probably the most important people in my life. They we’re there for me when my parents couldn’t. I believe that no matter what time of the day or night, or the year, month, or season, I will have at least one family member that will be there willing to hear my every word.

My grandfather was strong and he rarely ever showed weakness. The one time I saw him cry, and I’m pretty sure the only time that I have ever seen this, was in the hospital and he was in his room. He had been on chemotherapy for a while, was sick, and not doing too good. We all knew it. I remember walking into the room and as soon as he saw us he started crying. No one said anything or asked why. We all knew that he was happy to have his family there around him in such a cold, blank, morbid place. A couple of weeks later he passed away. That moment remains in my memory and will for the rest of my life, that I had never seen him cry in my entire 13 years of life, and there I saw him breakdown at the sight of his family members.

He is my hero and my goal in life. That might sound weird but he was the perfect American family man, and that is what I want to be in my life. I have also decided to go with the same career that he had chosen. My uncle has followed in his footsteps and is a current firefighter at the same fire station my grandfather retired from when I was born in 1989. That is the station I hope to some day work as a fire fighter, not just because he was my hero, and I want to be like him, but the power of family is unpredictable and I share the same love for this job as both him and my uncle.

When I need something or anything I know who to run to. Many people meet others that mean the world to them, but family will always and forever be the world to me. My influence, life style, and love are all reasons why I believe in family.