Matthew - saco, Maine
Themes: sports

I Believe in Martial arts

When I was a little kid I never did any sports and wasn’t very active. I remember that I used to watch action movies on TV with my dad. It was really inspiring seeing the hero always standing up for what he believed in, fighting for honor, respect, and all that is good. The simple idea that one could defend themselves with just their bare hands and nothing else was something that fascinated me. That’s when I fell in love with the martial arts.

I had not started martial arts until I was a freshmen in high school. My older sister who I was living with at the time, said that I had a lot of energy and had nothing to focus it on. When I first started, I learned that real fighting was not like you see in the movies. It is a very real and brutal thing that most people are afraid to even see. I also learned about people, myself, avoiding confrontation, and the respect that you should give to others. It also taught me how to be more confident in myself. Altogether, I have become a better person.

When I first started I was only going to classes 2-3 days a week. But once I got into it, I had a better understanding of the techniques, and started going 5-6 times a week. I practically lived there and wanted to be there every day. The idea of getting better than I ever was, it was almost like a drug. I would get a rush from it; fighting other people, becoming better, defying the odds, never giving up. Hearing people praise me for my skill and hard work made me feel better about myself. I have a lot of fun coming to the dojo, training and learning something new every day. When I look back at what I use to be, I was a virtual couch potato I had no ambition in life, just go home, sit down, and watch TV. Now I’m out of the house every day getting exercise.

No matter how old you, are or how tall you are, martial arts can help you in life and make you a better person. That’s why whenever I meet people I always say that they should come in to the dojo and check it out. By the way, in Japanese, “dojo” means “place of enlightenment,” if that makes any sense to you. That is why I belive in martial arts.