Paige - Saco, Maine

I believe in vegetarianism. When I am standing in the lunch line at school, or ordering food off of the menu at a restaurant out with friends I am constantly picked on, usually jokingly for not eating meat, I usually just brush it off, or smile because I laugh at the fact that people think it’s silly, that I chose not to consume anything with a face. I’m vegetarian now but there was a time when I relished meats of all kinds, and I can see why most people could never ever give it up. Many people ask me why I am a vegetarian, and call me crazy, but I believe I have a good enough reason, being I chose not to consume anything that once lived, like I do now. Would you eat your dog? Most people would answer no, I hope, but if I asked someone if they’d eat a cow, or pig, they’d smile or just laugh without hesitation. I don’t try to convert people to become vegetarian, I believe whatever you chose to consume if your problem, if it were a living thing with feelings just like us, then so be it. A few days ago, I was surfing the Internet and found a quote by Leonardo Da Vinci “ “The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men”. I agree with this quote 100 %. I constantly wonder why people don’t think of killing animals is the same thing as killing a human being? Animals feel just like we do, think of when you step on your dogs or cats tail, and they cry out loud, you feel bad for them, but when you hear or see an animal like a pig or cow being killed, you could really care less. A lot of people say “Well, we’ve been eating meat for years and it’s never going to stop so I don’t care!” But to me that’s just an excuse. Animal rights is not the only reason I believe in vegetarianism, Every year in the UK we feed our livestock enough food to feed 250,000,000 people while in the world 30,000,000 people die of starvation, so basically while we sit back and enjoy our dinners In front of the T.V. There are millions of people dying. Also, vegetarians have a 20% lower rate of mortality from all causes, 80% of food poisoning is due to infected meat, after all meat is decomposing flesh – most of the rest is due to salmonella in eggs, and Of 2,100,000 deaths in the USA in 1987, 1,500,000 were related to diet. So not only do I believe in animal rights, but I believe in my own health.