Patience - Provo, Utah

School and Family

Women today have more control over when they have a family than ever before. They want to finish school and have a career before they feel that they are ready to settle down with a family. Sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. Medications are not perfect, and sometimes a baby comes that was not planned for. Suddenly your whole world is turned upside down. Everything that you thought you could do seems like a dream that can never come true now that you have a child. What many women in this situation don’t know is that dreams and goals can still come true.

I had always planned on graduating from college before starting my family. Those plans changed drastically when my husband, Dallan, and I found ourselves suddenly expecting twins when I still had three years of school left. I was sure that they would take up too much of my time and that I would never be able to finish school. I took a semester off, and then decided that maybe I could finish my education. Even though I had no idea if I could handle taking care of my boys and getting classes done, I knew I had to try. So I changed my major and talked with family and friends. Everybody was supportive, and everything just fell into place. It works out, but it has not been easy.

At 7:30 I’m greeted by the smiling faces of Zachariah and Marriner. Our neighbor comes over and I go to class. When I get home I watch them as they splash in the bathtub and talk to each other in a language that only babies can understand. While they nap, I quickly clean up the toys that are scattered all over the room. Their next adventure is riding in our double-wide stroller on their way to see Daddy. I smile to myself when I hear other students exclaim over how amazingly cute my boys are. After playing with Daddy we go home. They eat some rice cereal and then play on the floor. They buzz like brass players, and exclaim over new discoveries. While doing homework I watch as Marriner gets into things and steals toys and Zach rock back and forth on his hands and knees. After juggling homework, housework, and babies all day I am very ready for the twin’s bedtime at 8. They smile and laugh as we read stories to them, and then they drift off to sleep. By the end of the day I am worn out, but I have gotten almost everything done. All that’s left are the dishes and the rest of my homework.

Even though it is difficult to be both a mother and a student, I have enjoyed the experience. I get to watch Zach and Marriner learn even while I am learning. Through the help and support of my husband, family, and friends I have been able to begin raising a family and yet still finish my education and make my dreams become reality.