Nathan - Plymouth, Michigan

I believe in kindness. The concept of kindness seems so simple in my mind, but throughout the course of any given day, it seems as though this is the one thing that people lack. Whether it is racing to get in front someone in line at the store or simply the typical road rage on the way to work, we all experience these egocentric tendencies on a daily basis.

Of course we all have our moments when we’re not the kindest people. Being late has always been a problem that I’ve struggled with, which might contribute to the times when I’m not the kindest person. Everyone knows what it’s like to be late; traffic lights and traffic jams seem like they last forever. Under the circumstance, sometimes your temper is just waiting to lash out at anyone who gets in your way.

On the contrary, once in a while you will run across someone that shows an act of kindness to a complete stranger. This is the kind of thing I’m trying to get at. Just something as simple as a smile or letting someone go in front of you in a traffic jam. It might just brighten someone’s day or make something a little easier for them. It’s not every day that someone goes out of their way to make things easier for you.

I remember watching a movie in a class that I had in high school. The title of the movie was “Pay It Forward”. During the movie there was an instance when a man’s car broke down in the rain. Seeing that the man was in need, a stranger gave him his car. When asked to repay them for him for the car, the man just told him to “pay it forward”. In the movie, “pay it forward” means to repay a good deed that was received by doing a good thing for three other strangers and asking them to “pay it forward”. The whole concept of this idea is that eventually it will grow to the whole world and everyone will be doing random acts of kindness for each other.

Kindness doesn’t just benefit the receiver. By showing kindness, you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you made a difference. That difference might influence someone enough to follow in your footsteps.