Devin - Long Beach, Mississippi

This I Believe: All Things Are Excuses

People, places, words, and actions are all excuses. Some people may not be able to see it this way, and others just may not want to see it this way in an attempt to keep “excuse” in their vocabulary as a word to defend their disobedience. An excuse is defined as: means to grant or obtain an exemption for a group of persons sharing a common characteristic from a potential liability. In other words it is a pardon to someone who was expected to give something of value morally or materially.

Nothing must be said prior to an excuse. When someone in the street says “hi” in an attempt to make conversation their excuse is speaking to you without permission. Saying “hi” is also an excuse to expect a response to the person they are speaking to. I know it may be hard to wrap one’s mind around this but I am tired of hearing and seeing excuse defined as a negative remark.

I said that places are also excuses, and this is simple to explain. A court building in a city is built as an excuse for not having a court building before. Every common residence is an excuse for people not to be living on the streets. Streets are excuses for cars to take certain paths. There is an infinite loop of excuses in this world which has been denied a positive title. Telling the boy who was supposed to mow my lawn last Tuesday that he was making excuses is an excuse to be angry that he did not provide that service regardless of whether he was making excuses.

Think of a good synonym for the word “excuse”. Synonyms themselves are excuses not to use an undesired word to acquire the same meaning in a question or statement. Do not fear to make excuses, because people who ask for forgiveness will be excused for their excuses.