Corey - Chandler, Arizona
Themes: love

A Little Love

It was one in the morning on a Wednesday in late March. I was finishing up some homework before I went to bed when my phone rang. I wondered who would be calling me so late. My phone showed my friend’s name. With hesitation I answered the phone. “I don’t know how to tell you this, but Jill died in a car accident.” My heart sunk into my chest. I didn’t want to believe what my friend had just told me. She was only 20. She was just getting started and still had so much life left to live. This is why, as simple of a concept as it seems, I believe in loving life.

I had known Jill since the early days of middle school. It wasn’t until high school that we really became friends. She was an amazing person with a huge heart. Almost a month later, I still can’t believe that she is gone. I’ve lived my life as a pessimist for a long time. I never took the time to fully appreciate the beauty in each new day. I had a terrible outlook on life and felt like it was a sort of burden.

I can still remember the last time I ever talked to her. I was going through a hard time and was quite depressed. Almost out of nowhere Jill came rushing to help me. It wasn’t so much what she said or did, but the fact that she was willing to help me, even though we hadn’t really talked in a long time. She told me to eat rainbow sherbet. I asked her why I should eat rainbow sherbet. She told me that rainbow sherbet was “simply divine.” I never knew how much a simple gesture from a friend could mean.

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to thank her. She died before I ever had the chance to show her how much her friendship meant to me. It amazed me that even though we lost touch after high school she still regarded me as a friend. I believe that the bond of friendship is eternal. Once you make a connection you are friends for life. I wish it didn’t take my friend dying to make me realize this and truly appreciate life. I wish I could have learned this on my own instead of at the expense of a wonderful person, and more than that, my true friend.

Life is too short. You should always say what you mean, because you may never get another chance. Always let people know how much they mean to you. I find it very hard to express my emotions and had often stayed away from telling people how I felt. Now I make a point to let my friends know how much they mean to me. There are all kinds of love. I believe that there is a love that is shared between friends. It may even be the strongest kind of love that exists. For the longest time I was convinced that I needed to feel romantic love in order to be complete. I have come to realize that my life can still be entirely filled with love even with the absence of the romantic kind. I love my friends, and now, thanks to Jill, I love life. I think tonight I will go home and enjoy a bowl of rainbow sherbet and remember one of the best friends I’ve ever had.