Kamal - Irvine, California

Past has passed

Depending on their character people might react to injustice with submission, assertiveness, or aggression. Anybody with a sound mind would recognize which of these options would lead to a win-win solution. However, a sound mind might be a rare commodity among those who feel entitled to make decisions for others and those who let others make decisions for them.

Generals of dominant nations who are obsessed with territory and size perceive minorities’ demand for self determination as a danger and tend to react to them with threats, a behavior typical of terrorists. Despite their ideological differences, abusive governments of such nations become united in making sure the disadvantaged people have no choices but to remain subservient, a behavior typical of chauvinists. Also unlike Woodrow Wilson, most western politicians from the right and the left are not interested in self determination rights of the people in the developing world and have only a self serving agenda, typical of hypocritical corporations and missionaries. To put an end to terror, arrogance, and hypocrisy, some rebels still believe they should choose the methods of the past to resolve an unjust conflict that has been imposed on their people.

In the past some of these rebels chose to submit to the commands of non native occupying lords to protect them, their ideologies, and their marked territories. In return they were marked as brave gate keepers by their masters and as xenophiles by their own people. Some found violating the rights of their people and violence against them intolerable and reacted with aggression. In return they were marked as war lords and terrorists by aggressive establishments and as xenophobes by submissive cosmopolitans.

For the past decades or so, the ex-rebels of some of the disadvantaged nations have been behaving differently and neither their foes nor their friends can mark them with past labels anymore. Since they chose doing real politics professionally, the ex-rebels have been more productive in the modern history of their people; despite the universal and relatively negligible flaws such as corruption and nepotism of some of them, as a team they deserve to be congratulated for their achievements. Their success could be due to their assertive use of the civil method and language of international political game players. Thank to their choice of new methods, some Western politicians seem to have finally recognized that supporting democratic minded people in troubled regions of the world is more advantageous than supporting brutal dictators.

In short, I believe the past has passed and so is the time for choices such as submission and aggression; the first is an insult to self and the latter to others. Neither of these methods helps the present and future generations to achieve their objectives of creating a peaceful and just society. Instead of using the methods of the past, politicians should create an atmosphere in which people are free to be assertive and make choices.