Kevin - Johnson City, Tennessee

This I believe…………………

I believe in a lot of things. For instance, I believe in things as futile as “the hot dog should never be shorter than the bun” or as pseudo masculine as “there should always be more meat than bread,” which, could still be referring to hot dogs-but is not. I also believe in controversial things too. I believe that abortion is murder. I believe that political parties should not exist. Beyond that, I believe that music is one of the most beautiful things that God created. I believe in God.

Here is what I believe. People, everybody, relentlessly believe. It really makes no difference what they believe. Everybody believes in something. Believing is like thinking. Like the philosopher Descartes points out, it is contradictory to conceive that one is not thinking. I cannot think the thought, “I am not thinking.” That is literally, not figuratively. I have figuratively drawn the conclusion that “I am not thinking” after making mistakes or doing crazy things to hopefully impress girls. I draw the same conclusion with believing. Thinking and believing are almost the same things. Even at this point it is important to draw the distinction between the two. Thinking is something as crazy and random. Thoughts are always changing and highly irrational while beliefs are more tangible and they generally last longer as well. I asked my roommate what he thought the difference was and he seemed to think that beliefs are more fundamental in nature, which makes sense because I think that many thoughts are derived from beliefs. Which, makes no sense when it comes to explaining the crazy thoughts we have. The degree of difficulty encountered in distinguishing one from another could stem from definition of what a belief is. I tend to propose that beliefs are not the ones we verbalize, but rather, the ones that are un-spoken-the ones that exist at the very core of our nature.

We say all of the time “I believe this” or “I believe in that” and yet we seem to yield very little credit to the word as our “beliefs” constantly change and evolve. The way I see it is that we are constantly on a physiological pilgrimage toward the unspoken fundamental beliefs. Beliefs such as “I am living,” “I am fed up with this,” “I am going to make it somehow,” and “I am to be loved” are all feelings that are not so much said all of the time but expressed through action and emotion all of the time.

What’s funny is that I have used phrases like “I believe” and “I think” throughout this paper. I have tried to contemplate what a belief is. It seemed only fitting before I write an essay entitled “This I believe.” At eighteen years of age, I suppose that many of my beliefs are still being formed. But, I don’t care who you are how old you are-everyone believes in something, this I believe.

Kevin Lane