Jamie - Easton, Pennsylvania

“The Unsuspecting Hero”

I often wondered throughout my younger years, “What is it that I am supposed to be doing with my life?” As the years continued to pass, I felt a nagging distress as the answer to that question continued to elude me. I desperately wanted “my go” at this life to really count for something, but what real impact could an everyday person like me hope to make? With that thought, I almost gave up looking entirely.

Six years of marriage and two children later, I knew that giving up on finding my purpose in life was not going to be an option that I could accept. You see, bringing two new beautiful souls into the world had a way of reinvigorating my sense of purpose, along with my desire to make a better world for them to inherit someday. It was time to go back to school and find the answers I had been searching for all my life, and that was when I discovered social work.

Many could attest to the empowering feeling that comes with finally realizing one’s true calling in life, but this was only the proverbial “tip of the iceberg.” Preparing to enter this helping profession has not only taught me who the most powerful people in the world are, but why they are, so often, stopped right in their tracks. Could you imagine my delight when this information was revealed?

So with that, I will now share with you this valuable tidbit of information that was so freely given to me in the course of my studies. I believe that within every human being exists the inherent power to make the world a better place. To take this point a bit further, I believe whole-heartedly that it is not the celebrity, nor the political “big wig” that brings about the truly positive changes in the world. It is by the sweat, tears, hard work, and dedication of the “everyday person” that a brighter future is forged for the next generation.

There is, by the way, only one thing that can stand in the way of this unstoppable workhorse once it gets going. The one thing I speak of is but a mere thought that unfortunately seems inherent within us “everyday people” as well. It comes in a few differing forms, but each is equally devastating in its impact on the individual, and regrettably, I hear these phrases all too often. “But what can one person do?” or “Who would listen to me?” or don’t let me forget, “What kind of real impact can an everyday person like me make anyway?” These are but a few examples, but you get the picture.

With that said, I still firmly believe that the inherent strength within humanity will continue to triumph over its own self-defeating thoughts, and the “everyday person” will continue to be the unsuspecting hero I most earnestly seek to assist.