Ellen - U/Marlboro, Maryland

Ellen Blount

This I believe .org

The Power of Politeness

The power of politeness has brought joy to my life. I’ve had the opportunity to visit a few countries, and I’ve realized that politeness is appreciated everywhere. Treating other people the way you want to be treated definitely pays off. I’ve received a lot of gifts on my job and my health hasn’t been compromised in any way. Rudeness can lead to social isolation, that’s why I try to be polite regardless of how bad I feel.

When I was in Heidelberg, Germany, I had a few incidents where I could have acted ugly, but I didn’t. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, while I was enjoying a quiet walk in the city; I was approached by a German couple. The lady thought I looked like a doll and without excuse actually felt my hair. She was so amused the hair felt like wool! Her husband felt my arm and commented how silky it felt. Through it all, I smiled and thanked them for the compliments. I knew that the couple’s reaction was uncalled for, but nevertheless I acted politely. During the 1970’s during Idi Amin’s reign, my cousins, two guys and I were having a night out riding, when we run a red light. We didn’t know that Amin’s soldiers saw us and since they were the “police” that time, they chased us. We stopped immediately and answered their questions politely which saved our lives. They left us alone because we didn’t stir up their anger. We treated them the way we would have wanted to be treated.

Politeness brings out the inner beauty in a person. I’ve encountered quite a lot of patients on my job, that were feeling irritable, but because of a smile and politeness, they’ve ended up feeling better. My politeness has paid off, because sometimes they rather tell me their inner secrets and worries than tell the physicians. Politeness on the job has caused patients to bombard me with all sorts of generous gifts. A polite person can be viewed as friendly and outgoing.

Some diseases are a result of lack of joy because of impoliteness I’ve encountered patients with high blood pressure, stomach ulcers, headaches, depression, emotional distress, some cancers, and other ailments to name a few. There’s a young patient who encounters rudeness in her public service job. She’s constantly complaining of migraine headaches and insomnia. Whenever she shows up to the clinic, which is every other week, I make sure she gets the ultimate good care with politeness. Being polite to mankind is one way of living life with joy. Treating people politely makes the world a better place to live in. The power of politeness should be exercised by all nations if we want to avoid all kinds of wars amongst ourselves. Fights are minimized so are ailments. Rudeness can lead to isolation because nobody likes to be around negative energy, that’s why I believe in the power of politeness.