Lucy - Clemmons, North Carolina

Before taking Political Issues with Professor McNamara, I was impartial, out of ignorance, to issues effecting our nation and to the nations of the world. I knew who I wanted to vote for in the 2008 Presidential election, but I really didn’t know why I wanted him to be the 44th President of the United States of America. I saw him give an amazingly uplifting speech at the Democratic National Convention a while back and I appreciated how he represented and presented himself and I felt that I agreed with most of what he had to say. Still, I had not chosen a political party to adhere to. This man is Barack Obama, and although he was well-spoken, educated, expressed bright views for our nation’s future, and would make ground-breaking history by become the first african-american President of America, I needed to know how he truly stood on all issues to make an educated decision.

I have come to the realization that most of the beliefs that were instilled upon me from my parents, were that of a democrat, even though my parents never showed great interest in any particular political party. As I’ve grown up, my parents have always encouraged me to find my own way and I know that my path is the path of a Democrat. Democrat stems from the word democracy which is a government for the people, by the people. They believe in social equality of all people regardless of religion, gender, nationality, or class. While helping our troops overseas gain the resources they need to make an early arrival home, issues such as educational reform, energy needs, and improving voting rights for all people are given just as much attention. Democrats are also trying to improve homeland security as well as assisting with any wars overseas.

Seeing as though I am now twenty years old, when it was time for the last election I wasn’t old enough to vote. Next year, it will be my first vote for the President of the United States, and I’m proud to have that privilege. I know that I still have a vast amount of information to review about all of the candidates before I make my final decision, but this class has made me want to know everything I can about all of the candidates before the day comes to vote. I now know that my vote matters, and that if everyone felt as though their vote was void, then we would never have elections in this country because no one would vote.

I can now say that I am a moderately liberal Democrat and know what that means. I believe in issues such as ensuring that all citizens attain minimum wages at their places of work, and that all children, regardless of location or cost, receive an adequate amount of education so that they may have the chance to attend college or receive job offers after completing high school . Although I do not believe in bashing or bad-mouthing any of the Republicans of the world, because that would go against my beliefs as an advocate of free speech, I feel that Democrats are for the working class and Republicans are for the business class. Democrats work hard to try to find a way to make things work so that all people can live their own unique American dream. Republicans are interested in working for the money and for themselves, not for the people as a whole. In a Democratic society, all men are equal and all men can have their say. In a Republican society, only the elite can have a say. I am a supporter of America, the country that I love, and that, I think, is the only thing Democrats and Republicans have in common. That is my opinion and that is my right.

In this class, because of Elizabeth McNamara,I have also been taught that no one can tell you that to be a Democrat you have to be a liberal. Each individual has their own beliefs, and I have strong beliefs about certain topics and not so strong beliefs on others. And I’ve learned that this is alright. I believe in the separation of church and state, I believe in women having the choice to do with their bodies what they will knowing the consequences, and I believe that no one has the right to tell you what to believe or what not to believe in. In THIS I believe.