Nina - Timonium, Maryland

Bad. Adjective. A word people often use to describe one another but is this an accurate statement? Can you just be a bad person?

Almost everywhere you go there’s always the one kid referred to as “the bad kid”. Normally people warn you about them “Don’t hang out with them, there bad.” They make it sound like it’s a disease and if you go near them you’ll catch it to.

At school there is a boy in my class that people are mean to for apparently no reason at all. I was new to many of the people in my class including him and I wasn’t going to let the warning people gave me change my mind about being nice to him. What’s different about him than any other person? I didn’t know. I wanted to form my own opinion about him because I knew he truly wasn’t a bad person. So I was as friendly as I would be for anyone else. At first he was hesitant to my friendliness toward him he even tried to push me away at time but I kept trying. I didn’t want to be friends with him because I pitied him but because I knew he was a good person.

One day I came home from school upset. I was frustrated “No matter how much I’m nice to him he will no make an effort back.” When I thought this I realized two things, two very important things. This wasn’t about me at all. Also why would he want ot be friends with me after all of those people are mean to him. So I continued being nice to him. After a while I found out I was right he is a nice person. In the words of Bono “Oh, you look so beautiful tonight, in the city of blinding lights. Don’t look before you laugh, look ugly in a photo graph.” To me this applies because at first he’s finding the best of someone in a most unusual place. Then he’s saying to take a leap of faith and forget what people tell you. In my situation by not listening to what people told me and by taking a leap of faith I have a new friend and a strong belief I will carry with me for the rest of my life. Something as easy as being nice to someone can get you so far. There is always a good thing in someone.

Faith. Noun.