Stephen - Miami, Florida

This is only my second trip back from home and already I’ve begun to look at this coveted empire with disgust. So contrasting to the initial impression I had of this democracy. A people that reward monetary wealth, as they should righteousness, quick to judge, hypocritical at their own convenience and determining the destiny of a nation according to one man’s vision. Dividing nations and cultures with war and vanity. Creating toxic minds with subliminal intent. This devious empire has its days numbered surely, but understanding that this opinion is in the majority these days, what has kept her galloping into the future without hesitation and resistance? It is the people. Their pride and patriotism have kept them clinging to these mediocre ethics. This generation cannot imagine life differently. Basking in their glory as the world super power, bullying nations and manipulating leaders into pawns. Ignoring their conscience in the process. Yet other nationalities continue to flock and saturate her economy despite her blatant ignorance for the values and cultures of these people. It is no secret what keeps them coming either. This, alongside its people, is her other defense. It is the only candle that shines brightly amongst the darkness, in the eyes of those who migrate to her soil. Opportunity. But is it really? What most considers opportunity really is wealth and it is amazing what some people would do for the ‘American Dream’. Yes, the road to this destination can be much more than rugged but all you have to do is keep your eyes on the prize right? Let me think of a word that is synonymous with this country’s most universal phrase, VANITY! And who can deny it. I mean don’t misunderstand me. I am not Arabic, I don’t praise Allah and definitely not Mohammed and quite frankly life is to good for me to strap pounds of explosives to my stomach just to prove a point. I mean I do live in the Caribbean. It’s just that I know a lot of wealthy people who live rich abundant lives full with all the finer things in life and they have never set foot on this wretched soil. In addition it depends on the individual and what they define as wealth.