Tanya - Erie, Colorado

At the close of William Shakespeare’s play All’s Well That Ends Well, Helena says to Parolles, “Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie.” At the opening of the play, the main figures are pondering the deaths of two people who were important in their lives. Bertram has lost his father; Helena has lost hers. Throughout the play, matters continue to go from bad to worse. With her second soliloquy, quoted in part here, Helena says she will take matters into her own hands, and pursue her love of Bertram, against all odds. This rejection of fate echoes the famous lines in Julius Caesar: “The fault… is not in our stars… But in ourselves…”

Just as Helena learned to rely on herself, it is my belief that we should all do the same. People can always let you down. You never know when someone will betray or hurt you. As in Julius Caesar, it can be the person you least suspect like a family member or a best friend. Because of this, it is important to be able to rely on yourself when no one else is there for you. When you can do this, you know what it is to be truly strong and independent. Also, it is easier to heal when life hits you with an unfriendly blow if you know you can depend on your own strength to sustain you. You can be strong when no one else will, and knowing that you can make it through any tough situation is priceless.