Kate - Bloomington, Indiana
Themes: family, humanism, love

This I Believe…

“Mom wake up, Mom,” my brother yelled. “What Jake, what happened,” she replied. “Look,” Jake answered.” Then my mom yelled, “Oh my gosh, Jake get in the car, I’m taking you to the hospital.”

I believe you don’t realize how much you truly love someone until something tragic happens to them. I came upon this belief when I was in forth grade, it was the worst year of my life. My brother’s best friend died, and my brother almost died all in the same year, just from a bad decision.

Have you ever heard of the game pass out or the chocking game, well, I’ve had a horrible experience with this game. My brother was having a sleepover, and his friends decided to play this game in the basement on the concrete floor and they laid a mattress down so no now would hit the concrete. It was very late at night and it was my brother’s turn to go, unluckily he fell missed the mattress and hit his head on the concrete. When he awoke he had blood pouring out of his ear and his jaw hurt when he talked. He ran upstairs to my parent’s room and woke my Mom up. When she saw what had happened she rushed him to the hospital. Turns out he had a basil skull fracture, a broken jaw, and he ruptured his ear drum. If he were to fracture his skull any more, he would have died. He had to get his jaw wired shut and I don’t think they did anything for his ear. When he arrived home the next day, my Mom was telling me about the car ride, and my brother turned to my Mom and asked, “Am I going to die?” When I heard that he said that I realized that I could have lost him and from then on I believed you never realize how much you love someone until something tragic happens to them.

Another way I came upon this belief is my brothers best friend, Lucious, died. Just a few weeks before the incident, he spent the weekend at my house, and him and I were playing video games together, that is the last I saw him in person. It just so happened that he overdosed on morphine and suffocated in his sleep. His mom walked into his room and saw his blue face and called 911. After that, his sister, Esa, and I became best friends. The night that my brother almost died she was at my house and how much would that suck to just have your brother die and then be at her friends house and see your friends brother almost die.

My belief has strongly grown over the years due to the loss of luscious and the tragic incident that happened to my brother. That year was the worst year of my life, I will never forget it. I believe that you don’t realize how much you love someone until something tragic happens to them. Everyone will loose someone important to them in their life time, and someone that they love. When you loose someone you love, you will love them even more!!! This is why I believe you don’t realize how much you love someone until something tragic happens to them.