Courtney - Hickory, North Carolina
Themes: nature

I believe that simple is beautiful. That once the noise is gone, there’s only pure and simple beauty. I believe that beauty lies not in the eye of the beholder, but rather deep within the hearts of all the beholden, regardless of the differences of their birth or their outside appearances. I believe that the expectations of society, the golden appearance, the perfect facade, that people are told that they should strive for, only succeeds in hiding the simple beauty of people far behind a curtain of false expectations and social static. I believe that all people become wrapped up in the chaos of life at one point. For me, that chaos is either the seemingly daily phone calls from home telling me of yet more bad news, or the worry that comes with college life. It rules my thoughts and once the worry sets in, life appears to be void of pattern or reason. It is a noisy and busy world that we live in, and sometimes it is overwhelming, but I believe that life offers its own sanctuary, that if we look back to the simplest of all forms of life we can regain our insight and our calm.

I believe whole-heartedly that it is nature herself that can offer that calm refuge, and I believe that she has been offering it to people before they realized that she was even there. Everyone can recall one moment where they stopped and said to themselves, “this, this is it, this is what life is all about”. Whether that moment was seeing the sun fall down between the leaves of a great tree, or the view from the top of the world, from the top of a mountain, it doesn’t matter what or where the moment was, it can be just a calm summer day or not a specific place at all but rather an overall feeling that a person gets when they are in nature and listening. It can be a peaceful moment or just a split second, but it is there. It is different for each person, since for each his own, but there it lies, within us all the memory, the feeling, that simple nature can offer us.

I believe that nature holds no golden expectations. She doesn’t care whether we are fat or thin, tall or short, light-skinned or dark-skinned. She doesn’t care if we wear the latest fashions, or if we are just wearing the same thing from yesterday. For me my refuge is the prairies, beneath the far-reaching blue sky. That puts my life back into perspective. Nature doesn’t care when I fail my chem. tests or when I make a fool of myself. Nature is not judging. Nature is unbiased. And I believe with my entire being, no with my entire soul, that in Nature we can find a refuge. That life is only chaotic on the outside, and on the inside it is simple, simple and beautiful.