James - Tallahassee, Florida

Growing up in the 80’s, I was exposed to a lot of different types of movies. While Arnold and Sylvester movies were in their prime, the ones that are the most important to me to this day are what I call underdog movies. These movies usually start off by having an unlikely character turn into the hero who gets the girl by the end of the movie.

The Goonies was one of the first underdog movies that I remember seeing. A group of plucky pre-teens, along with their older siblings set out to find a dead pirate’s treasure, so that they can save their homes. Along the way they dodge bullies, bandits, and the traps set by dead buccaneers; finally getting the gold, confidence, as well as their first kiss. Despite everyone trying to stop them, they succeed. When one of them fell, whether it be a physical pit, or a metaphorical pit of despair, a friend was there to pull them out.

The Goonies never gave up or caved to the pressure of others; as they were often heard to say: “Goonies never say die!”. This never-give-up attitude is one of the ideals that I hold close to my heart.

I have been faced with many personal, scholastic, and professional situations where surrender would have been the easier option, but I do not accepted defeat so readily. To be honest, at those times, I did not reflect back on my childhood and think “what would the Goonies do?”, but their message of hope did linger somewhere in the back of my mind.

After growing up a hopeful child, I was seriously assaulted on my college campus. I sunk into a depression which marked it’s low point with me secretly dropping out of school. I was ready to give up on life until my family was there to pull me out of my depression and give me the support I needed to recover. Knowing that I can recover from such a scarring incident fills me with hope for the future.

I believe that there is little that can stand in my way if I put my mind to it. With the support of my friends and family, I believe that I can recover from any injury to my person, or psyche. I believe in Hope, I believe in “Never say die!”, and I believe in ‘the Goonies’.