Kirill - USA

This semester I took a writing course with a topic in conservation biology. I learned that human ways – the way of life that I lead – may lead to the sea level rising rapidly and consuming lots of land and homes. I learned that eating meat during every meal, the way I do, leads to factory farms, which have horrible animal treatment. I learned that species are going extinct at a rate 100 to 1000 times faster the natural rate because of humans. Clearly, this should tell me that my current lifestyle will lead me, and perhaps the rest of mankind, into an abyss. Sadly and oddly, however, I have not changed anything and don’t have the desire to do so. Once I realized this, I started thinking as to what the cause might be.

I have three hobbies in life: playing Counter-Strike: Source, exercising, and fishing. Counter-Strike is a first person squad-based shooter computer game; basically, the objective of it is to frag as many noobs as you can. The main rush of the game for me is to feel like I am actually better than others and shove this into their faces. My second hobby is running and working out, which is perfecting my body. Finally, my third hobby is turning the misery of animals into fun for me. So let’s see here…two of my hobbies deal with having the death of others amuse me.

So what do I believe? I believe that I am an ignorant selfish sociopath. It took the writing course this semester to shove this fact that I seem to have previously overlooked right into my face.

I learned and believe it is largely ignorance and selfishness that I exuberate (that and a little lack of knowledge) that got the world to a poor state it is in and endanger our future on this planet. Humans have known about the way they are wrecking the planet for a while now, but haven’t done much about it because of selfishness, which leads to ignorance of what might put in danger the precious wealth, symbolized by power, money, etc. Only when rarely some rapidly approaching threat slaps humankind across the face, then will a change come.

I am a human.

My mindset needs to be changed if I am to continue living in this world. Otherwise, it will be a different world, and I am not even sure if I will be a part of it. But even as I write this, …

I believe that my lifetime is too short for dramatic changes like Apocalypse and Armageddon, so to speak, to come to this planet while I am here. So I believe I should exploit this planet and have fun while I can.

So that’s the irony of my situation…