Yatyng - Jacksonville, Florida

Photography and environmental consciousness go hand in hand.

Nature relies on the visual senses which photography caters to through its unique ability to capture a stunning landscape for all of eternity to enjoy. It allows us to experience life, visit countries, and encounter animals that we would not have the capacity to do otherwise.

Regardless of whether you are the photographer or the photography admirer, you develop this breadth of connection with your subject that stays with you for eons.

You know the feeling.

When you kick off your shoes and sink into the living room sofa after a hard day’s work. You close your eyes and relax to the soft sounds of the waves on the shore, feel the breeze as it blows across your body, sitting on that picturesque beach that you have seen one too many times on all of those vacation advertisements.

Photographs are the greatest tools of persuasion and essentially that which conservationists need to utilize in order to bolster their cause. They must cater to our human species’ strong reliance on the visual to get us through life.

Being the photographer yourself has the same effect; you must teach yourself to observe the subject from multiple viewpoints and find beauty and character in the most unexpected places. It is during this period of reflection that nature, the landscape – your subject – receives the highest degree of respect. If you cannot observe the setting in that light then you will never be able to capture that perfect picture.

It is for this reason that I believe in the ability of photography to induce a sense of environmental awareness. The camera captures those brilliant moments in nature that we often forget about as we go about in our mundane lives, surrounded by that which sustains our very well-being. I feel inspired whenever I hold a camera in my hands – the world becomes my canvas and its different elements become my unique subjects. As my fascination with the art has increased, my interest in preserving the earth’s biology has similarly increased in an exponential fashion as I long to always have that element of natural beauty available to capture on film.

You may find this concept silly or you may find yourself pausing to consider the notion, nodding your head from time to time in agreement. Whatever the case may be, this is what I believe and what I will continue to believe – pick up a camera, step outside, and consider my thoughts, you never know what might happen until you actually go out there and try it. The world is a beautiful thing.