Kevin - Chicago, Illinois

Should we blow the moon up? Professor Alexander Abian from Iowa State University suggests that we blow up the moon to straighten the tilt and supposedly create an eternal spring. Write a business letter in response to his theory. “Are you kidding me…is this it?” I turned and looked at my friend. “Yep, that’s it.” “No, really…there must be more work.” “No, not at all.” “Alright well, we have about an hour left in this period; let’s go play computer games or something.” This is a typical conversation I have during my IVHS course that I’m currently taking this year. It’s one part of a pretty easy senior year schedule. The kind of year I’m having now is one I’ve always waited for after working hard to get through 3 years of classes such as trigonometry and physics. I believe the key to happiness in life is finding that proper balance between work and play

My senior year has been fantastic so far, partially due to the fact that I have seen my friends struggling through their year because of various AP classes. Last year a few of my friends and I had a conversation about what classes we would take for our final year. They insisted on taking an AP English class which I told them not to. Now, they are constantly complaining about all the work they have and regret their decision. I believe that the hard work I’ve done the past three years have allowed me to kind of take it easy this year. Going into my senior year I felt completely comfortable and relaxed with my course scheduling because I knew my previous work warranted that I ease up on myself. I knew I would still be in good shape to get into a college of my choice. I’m really glad that I made this decision because I’ve been able to stop and smell the roses during my last year at Northside. I’ve been able to laugh and smile more because I haven’t been burdened with trying to figure out how to solve that AP Calculus problem. I don’t understand why some kids decide to load their senior year schedules with 3, 4 or even 5 AP classes. It’s like they don’t want to have extra free time to enjoy their final year at high school. We only have four years here, how can we make the most of it if we’re always scrambling around trying to finish up homework and projects? You work hard, you play hard. But it seems like a lot of my peers at Northside are forgetting the “play hard” part of that quote. It’s when people take a step back from a hectic life and realize that there is time for playing that they’ll come to find a little more happiness in life.