Alyssa - Apopka, Florida

Seeing Value in the Ordinary

I believe that by seeing value in everyday things I can enhance the level of satisfaction in my life. People always take things for granted. Whether it’s a car, new clothes, books, or the company of others, it is all taken for granted. One thing that I often don’t see value in are the people around me.

This year has been one tough year for my family and me. We all have had our disagreements now and then, but this school year has been flooded with arguments and hurtful words due to many surprises and circumstances I brought home with me. The countless bad decisions that circulated around the minds of my parents created a whole world full of tension and a growing separation between us. Though things at school weren’t much better, with my grades being a puddle of disappointment, my friends were always right beside me.

Then, when everything had fallen apart and my parents were in the process of helping me pick things up, my mom gave me some very important advice. She told me, “This is the time to hang out with your girlfriends. Keep them close. They can really help during this time and get your mind off things like boys or stuff like that.” At the time that she had said that, I didn’t think anything of it, but lately I’m realizing how wonderful and helpful my friends really are.

One morning at school, I just completely broke down in tears. I guess it was just my way of relieving myself of all the emotional baggage I had been carrying for the past year and my two good friends were there to hold and comfort me. They have shared a part of my backbone that my parents have been. Ever since that day, which was a few months ago, I have seen how my friends support me when needed, give me advice when asked, and talked me out of making more bad decisions and I really appreciated and understood what my mom told me. Though I still have some issues to work over, I am overall more satisfied with my life all because I saw how much I valued my friends and how much they truly valued me. Even though moments may be small, like simply going out to the movies with my friends on a bad day, they can hold tremendous value, and now I try to look for value in things, not just with people. Thanks to my mom and my friends for opening my eyes, I get what I want from those small moments and have become a happier person inside. This I believe.