Jeff - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe in humanity.

I have looked down 20,000 feet upon rainforest from summits of the Andes Mountains, and dove in water 1700 miles from the continent of Antarctica. Peddled bicycles across Europe and wandered sections of the Great Wall of China. In these travels I have meet and enjoyed people, and have come to realize one great truth. That our world and its inhabitance, although diverse, are predominately good. All people have feelings that are genuine and their smiles and days are just like ours, just in another time in another space.

I remember the look of a little girl in Bolivia who’s job it was to watch her family’s potato harvest drying in the sun and keeping the mice from running off with the winters stores. She handed me one and in Spanish she wished be a safe journey and left me with a smile. The memory of a shack in the New Zealand highlands, after listening for hours the hilarious babbling of a gentleman from Australia, we stepped in out of the rain to the smells of every culture and every cuisine as food from every continent was cooked and shared. I watched the Southern Cross spin in the sky with a family from South Africa who farm was seized and they were sent away waiting word that it was safe to come home. I watched school children playing in Tiananmen Square and was offered help in a foreign tongue with my new daughter by grandmother’s 14,000 miles from our home.

I know bad things happen and that living in a beautiful world is a myth. But in my mind this world is magnificent and the greater of mankind is good. I know that sooner or later the depletion of resource will teach us a lesson, and that our planet and people will change. But for now I love life and I love people and am truly grateful to share this rock with all of you.