Jason - Durham, North Carolina
Themes: good & evil

I believe that there is good in all people.

I believe that everyone knows the difference between right and wrong.

But I also believe that people are selfish.

I believe that instead of looking out for the group, people look out for themselves. People look out for their own benefits and interests before looking out for the common good.

If there is one thing I learned from my freshman writing class at Duke University, it is that not enough people care about the environment. More importantly, in America the people who make the decisions don’t care about the environment either.

Truthfully, when I entered the class, I couldn’t have cared less about the environment. But throughout the semester, I learned (imagine that!) about the major environmental problems the world is facing today, from air pollution to zoo captivity, and it gave me a new concept of the magnitude of the many problems our precious environment is facing today.

In my writing class, we had to write weekly journals that pertained to the readings that usually pertained to some environmental problem. In my journals I found my self searching for a solution to various environmental problems and always coming up with the same one: find a way to make people care, in government and everyday life.

Through this I realized: nearly every politician at least has some concept of the environmental problems we are causing, but no one will take action. Because not enough people care.

I believe not enough people care.

Politicians are too wrapped up in getting re-elected to care about the environment.

CEO’s are too worried about making that extra 50 cents per customer to inflate their already outrageous paycheck.

These are the people who have the voice in our country, the people who CAN make a difference with little effort.

But they don’t care enough.

Well I believe they should.

I believe people, and not just the people who have the power, should care enough.

There are countless global environmental problems that are progressively getting worse, and we are just sitting around watching. Hoping. That somehow, it won’t affect us.

I believe people should care. Because it will affect us.

I believe we should do something. Now. Not tomorrow.

Now.