Emily - Chicago, Illinois

My Tangled Pile of Personality

I am a bad swimmer. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this in a “down on life” kind of way. My junior and senior year, I joined the swim team at school. If the team had any sort of try outs with cuts, I wouldn’t have made it, but all I had to do was show up at practice and I was on the team. Compared to everyone else there, I was very very slow. At first, I thought that I was just out of shape and that after a few days of practice I would get better, but after those few days passed I realized that I really just don’t excel at the sport. But, I’m okay with that. I stuck with it and although I didn’t always enjoy it, I’m glad I stuck with it. It taught me a lot of things about commitment, competition and strength.

What I think should really matter internally is that you try your best. Even if you try your very hardest and fail, it’s okay. Accepting that and recognizing your strengths and weaknesses is, I think, a very mature and open-minded approach to the world. But, the process and the struggle are what really matter.

My struggles make me more interesting. They add character and uniqueness to my personality. With struggles, layers of interest and fibers of remarkability are added to the mess that makes up my personality. In the case of humans, perfection is imperfect. As I struggle with a task or an idea or a thought, I learn and gain wisdom, which ultimately leads to another layer piled onto my heap. I think that the bigger and more tangled my pile gets, the more interesting I become.