Kirbie - Gilbert, Arizona

“Kindness begins with me”

Kindness in found in a simple smile or Hello; Holding the door for someone, helping your elderly neighbor with their yard work; helping a single mother with her children or woman whose pregnant with her groceries; writing a nice note to someone just because.

I believe that everyone can possess kindness. For some of us it comes natural, others may have to try a little harder. But “trying” is part of the process; trying is what makes bad men good and good men better. Sometimes one may have to walk in someone else’s shoes before they realize the importance of kindness.

Lets take a seed for instance; a tiny seed when planted and given proper treatment can grow into a huge redwood tree, or an oak tree. A seed that is no bigger that a pen dot grows to give shade from the sun, shelter form the rain and a support you can lean on when reading a good book. Kindness gives shelter, and support. It is like a rock when thrown into a lake, it creates ripples; kindness is a ripple. When shown to someone it spreads on and on, from person to person.

This I believe like the unknown author who wrote it; “Kindness is a language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.”

Being kind may have stopped wars or never started them, healed broken hearts or never broke them, or helped those that are weary. In Sunday school as a little girl I remember singing a song written by Carla W. McMaster entitled, Kindness Begins With Me:

“I want to be kind to everyone, for that is right you see.

So I say to myself remember this; Kindness begins with me.”

Kindness has influenced my life and the choices I make. For example, many people have shown kindness to me and my family through notes, and their actions. When you have cancer it means so much to receive a note that someone is thinking about you. Or at times when your mom was working two jobs and going to school, money was tight due to divorce. We would find money on our counters, food on our doorstep, our lawn mowed and weeded. Therefore, when you have been shown kindness you are filled with the desire to do the same for someone else because you have felt the happiness and love from others.

This I believe that Kindness begins with me, as well as every individual. In the world today most people seem to be concerned with “ME”, “What’s in it for me?” attitude. Kindness is what’s in it for you and that will effect you more than anything else. When you put others first, you are not only blessing them but you too! This I believe.