Bruce - Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Themes: Christianity

I believe that learning to color within the lines as a child was bad training. Further, I remember receiving high marks and extra credit for coloring so precisely within the lines, which re-enforced this training. Over the last 50+ years, I’ve come to realize, increasingly so, that life isn’t lived and dreams are not realized when we stay inside the box and color inside the lines. Our creativity, our expression, our true feelings and the opportunity to serve others by doing the right thing, what makes good sense, is constrained, if not suffocated by living inside a tight little box of rules. Rules are very important, but finding the right time to offer a different thought or find an innovative solution to a problem is where life shines. There is no limit to what we can accomplish. If we reach for the moon, we’re bound to grab a star.

I believe that communication is key to everything we do. I believe we talk far too much and listen far too little. Nothing can be learned by always talking. Listening to someone shows caring, understanding and concern. These values forge relationships that last and persevere. I believe that we many times are much too serious about too many things. Loosen up and have fun- see the humor in much of what we say and do. If you aren’t having fun, you’re probably in the wrong job….or you need to look at it differently. Love what you’re doing and do what you love…and don’t be afraid of making fun of yourself….as you and I do a lot of funny things.

I believe in servant leadership. Strength comes through submission. God has given us his Son Jesus as a powerful example of this simple yet profound principle. Doing what it takes to get the job done, taking a team-approach to our tasks and being humble in the way we conduct ourselves shows leadership. Leaders set the tone for the team and must be a part of the team, not apart from the team. I’ve never felt that people work for me; I’ve always felt they work with me. I believe we work for a great company that values creativity, doing what is right for the customer, the community and above all our employee/owners… and listens well when people talk.