Leticia - Kent, Washington

I believe in spontaneity, living on the edge, stepping outside of your comfort zone. It’s great to follow the rules and do things by the book, but sometimes you need to let loose and do things the way you want to. There’s a quote by Louisa May Alcott that says, “Well behaved women don’t make history.” Well behaved women, as well as men don’t make history. In my own experience when trying something I usually wouldn’t do, I made one of my best friends. In the beginning of the school year in Spanish class I was sitting next to this girl who I thought was a freshman. Because I thought I was older than her, I had the courage to speak to her. Senora said that we had to work with the people next to us. So I had to work with this girl. We had these basic questions that we had to ask our partners. So I asked her what her name was. She told me her name was Ally. Then I asked what her favorite music group was. She said loved a group called Alkaline Trio. I wasn’t familiar with it and I said I would look it up and listen to some of their songs. I finally asked her if she was new to this school, and she said no, she was here last year. I was confused so I asked her, “So, you’re a sophomore or a junior?” She laughed and she said, “No, I’m a senior!” Although I had survived my freshman year, and met people from every class, I was shocked that I had made a senior as a friend. As the school year went on we found that we have a lot of things in common. My friendship was Ally was totally unexpected. I don’t think that if I was my usually reserved self I would have become friends with her.

The most memorable leaders that positively changed the world weren’t recognized because they just talked of injustices, they acted on them, and grabbed the attention of the world. I’m sure Martin Luther King Jr. was stepping out of his comfort zone when he decided to lead marches and speak in front of thousands of people. Rosa Parks decided not to get out of her seat not because she was disrespectful, but she did what no other black woman had the courage to do in her time.

Even the way college’s today are accepting students proves how they are looking for students who are more than book smart. They are looking for kids who are active. Active in their school, and community. They want kids who are inventive, social, brave, and students that think outside of the box, creating their own path!

When I was in middle school I thought that if I did everything by the book, I would automatically meet new people or I would always get an A on an English paper because I did it the way I was told. Once I hit high school and at the freshman orientation the motivational speaker said, “Don’t sit on the sidelines and watch others create your memories, rip up your ‘too cool card’ and have fun!” My freshman year I joined Environmental Action Club, Key club, SHADES, and National Honors Society. I met most of my close friends, stood up in front of the school and read a speech that I wrote, and danced like a goof at pep rallies.

So approach someone and talk to them, become friends with your “enemy,” discover a new way to get home, try an ice cream you’ve never had before, leave and take that trip to Italy, blast music and dance like fool, dye your hair red, or wear funky socks. Because what’s the absolute worst that could happen? Remember, this is your life, make your own memories.

I believe that being spontaneous is a person’s outlet to be themselves and test the boundaries that others have put in place. I believe that being spontaneous is a person’s disguise to do and say what they really want. I believe that being spontaneous and fun is what draws people who want to be your friend. Don’t get me wrong there are times when you need to behave and be professional. But don’t take life too seriously. Create fun memories with the people that mean the most to you.