Karolyn - New Castle, Colorado
Age Group: 65+
Themes: Christianity

A Portrait of My Relationship with God

I believe that God came into my life as a personal God on August 19, 2000. Until then I was an agnostic, believing in God as an ongoing creative force. I was meditating by the river in my small mountain town when suddenly I felt such a powerful force that I could only feel it was God. This presence surrounded and enveloped me totally. It was above me, under me, beside me, inside me. I was so stunned that it took another nine months to finally accept that this presence was truly God.

Once this occurred, He has led me on an awesome journey. It began with realizing He had actually called me for a specific purpose — to serve the homeless of my valley. He gave me a burning passion for our homeless. I came to understand that He had given me the gift of caring for others and that He had trained me for this mission throughout my entire life even though I had not believed He existed. God helped me to develop a day center for the homeless that provides the basic services they need. We have created a place that is warm and caring, giving respect and dignity as well as the physical necessities. The day center has become an anchor in their lives.

In the process of developing the day center, God has given me the strength, leadership and sustenance to do this. I talk to Him asking for direction and He works with me until I understand what direction He wants me to go. Then He gives me whatever tools, support, and strength I need to accomplish it. Out of this awesome experience has come the most meaningful relationship of my life—that sense of oneness with God that Jesus promises: “My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father—that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us.” John 17:21