Rian - wylie, Texas
Themes: work

I believe in hard work. There’s nothing better than sitting down and enjoying all the hard work put forth on any kind of project. Whether it’s a sandwich you just made and you’re now eating it, or a house you just built and are now living in. I believe that hard work pays off, especially in the long run.

I am in FFA, which is a prime example of hard work and it paying off in the long run. FFA is an organization that is based around agriculture and hard work. This year was the first year I ever showed. I have a pig named Daisy that I showed at the Collin County Livestock Show. I got her in early November and showed in the beginning of January. I was in the light-weight cross division.

I’d worked with my pig for two months and it was time to see what she could do. I’d work two to three hours a night everyday with my pig so that I’d increase my chances of winning. I wanted to win. It’d be my first show ever and I’d just washed her so we were completely ready for show. As I walked to the holding area all I could think about was that she’d do well and that all my work would pay off. We got in the holding pen and waited for our turn. A little longer and we’d be in the arena. The announcer called for light-weight crosses, it was my turn. We get into the ring and the first thing she does is sprint across the arena, but it was okay because I got under control fast. As we proceeded through the show, the judge would pick off people one by one. The way the show worked was last one standing wins. The judge slowly picked off everybody and it came down to one other kid and me. It was looking like I was going to win first place. Then out of the holding pens two kids and their pigs that were picked out from before, came back in. So from one to go, it now became three. I was now looking at at least fourth. We showed a little longer and then the judge grabbed the microphone, which meant he was about to announce the winner. He said the two kids that he’d brought back in were placed first and second. This meant it was either third or fourth. He then looked at me and said, “This young man I believe deserves third place.” By that I’d gotten third place in my very first show.

This may not have been the greatest thing ever, but for my very first show it was worth all the hard work I put in. I was proud of myself; I’d beaten out eight other people for my first show that was pretty dern good. I believe in hard work, and I’ve got a ribbon to prove it.