Taylor - Wylie, Texas

I believe in blessings. Some people call it luck; other call it fate, but I call it a blessing. A blessing could be as much as finding money on the sidewalk, which would help pay the electric bill next month. People may be part of a blessing and not know it. Sometimes it may be in disguise and hard to uncover. When one least expects it, they might receive one. A blessing is a gift from above, and is liked by all. Blessings come in many shapes and sizes, in many different ways.

I remember it like yesterday, the day my life changed forever. After I adjusted to my new school, and made some friends my dad delivered the news that we were moving –to Austin! I felt like someone had knocked the breath out of me. Well, fortunately life moved on, and the grief of leaving faded away. After we settled down, we started seeing my grandparents and cousins frequently. On the plus side, the long distance relationship had come to an end, for now anyway. My grandparents and I went out for lunch together, saw movies, and just had fun. I made a best friend, and things started to look a whole lot better.

One day in the fall as my mom loaded my sisters into the car, she realized she had forgotten something. Already late, she ran back inside. Immediately, after she found the item, the phone started ringing. Already exasperated, she gingerly picked it up. This could not have been timed more perfectly, because if my mom had not answered the phone, who would my grandma have turned to? Memaw was on the other end, and she called to say that my Papa Jack passed away. The pain in our hearts that day was excruciating.

The move that my family made from Wylie to Austin turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Being in a long distance relationship with my grandparent had been hard; we only got to see them twice a year. God planned for my family move to Austin, therefore having the chance to spend time with my Papa before his last days in this world. Moving away from all of my friends seemed bad luck, but it turned out for the better. I made new friends in Austin, and still keep in touch with them to this day. God works in mysterious and wondrous ways, and His blessings have been poured upon our family. Hanging above our doorway is a verse of scripture that my mom hung to act as a blessing every time people leave our home. “The Lord bless you and keep you;

The Lord make His face shine upon you,

And be gracious to you. “The Lord lift up His countenance upon youu, And give you peace.”

Numbers 6:24-26

My desire is to be a blessing in others lives. By babysitting for single moms free of charge, or mowing lawns for the elderly, through God, they will be blessed.