Kaitlyn - Sachse, Texas

Have you ever taken the time to enjoy a glass filled to the brim with ice cold milk and a plate of warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies? Not shoving a couple of ready-to-eat ones down before starting on a mammoth-sized pile of work, but taking the time to thoroughly please your unruly craving. The sweet smell making your mouth water; the taste you get of the perfect chocolate chip to dough ratio; the refreshing gulf of milk, washing it all down. I believe that after a begrudging day at work, a person is entitled to milk and cookies.

Often, I get caught up in school work and forget to take time to harvest the rewards of hard work. Recently, my mom helped me realize the obituary I was already writing for myself. She thought I was going overboard on my Spanish project.

My teacher said that in order to get a perfect grade on this project, we needed to make our posters exceptional. The simplistic assignment: create pictures that model our daily life and write sentences about them. I never back away from a challenge, and her expression dared me to try. I undoubtedly knew that I needed something amazing to prove I deserved a perfect grade. Instead of drawing normal, boring pictures, my project appeared three-dimensional. The people had clothes, and miniature items were all over. After about three hours, I only completed a third of the project. At that point I realized that I am insane. I thought at that moment in time, “I need to stop”, but I couldn’t. I was destined to follow through with my idea.

This project, that normally takes maybe an hour or two to complete, took me EIGHT hours! I know that is a long time, but I just wanted a one-hundred. Was that too much to ask? Yes. I received a ninety-seven. Just because I made a little mistake on one of my sentences doesn’t mean I didn’t deserve a perfect grade.

Instead of holding myself with dignity, proud that I earned the highest grade, I beat myself up. How could I have made such a stupid mistake? When I got home that day, the first thing I heard from my mom was, “How did you do?” After spitting out in fury my grade, she managed to cool me off and give me a glass of milk and a fresh plate of cookies. She said, “You need to take the time, after a long day, to enjoy the milk and cookies you deserve.”

I realized that night something that has had a great impact upon my life since: sometimes, it’s important to take a break from the world around you and evaluate the exceptional things you have accomplished. We live in a negative world. Putting on the news at night, all you hear includes disastrous, scandalous reports. Why do we have to accept that negative way of thinking? I believe after a day at work, a person deserves their milk and cookies.