Kylie - Wylie, Texas

Certain things in life happen, that make you question how you live or what you believe in. Sometimes these things are meant to be complex or life-changing; sometimes however they just turn out that way. As a third grader I’m not sure that any thing, with the exception of which table you sit at during lunch, is complex. So I’m sure that what happened to me just turned out that way.

During recess, the best time of the day for me, I noticed a girl of my same age leaning up against the wall crying as if someone had ran over her puppy. Being the typical nine year old that I was, I wasn’t sure whether going and helping her would be worth missing the game of tag I had just started. Finally after several minutes of debating the pros and cons of my decisions, I decided to go and see what was the matter with her. Between gasping sobs she told me that the source of her tears had come from the rude remarks of three or four kids in line before heading outside. Now mind you these kids that were good enough to offer opinions on someone else were exactly the same as all of us. We all drank out of the same water fountain, knew some of our times tables, and all struggled with packing our own lunch.

As I stood there listening to her cry about what they said, something inside of me clicked. What gave them that right? Who told them it was okay to say such things to an innocent person? To this day I still haven’t been able to answer those questions. However I learned one of life’s most valuable lessons that day. I believe in not caring what people think about me. Life’s not always like third grade in the sense that a game of wall-ball quickly healed thirty minutes of tears, but one thing that is true in all situations is the fact that people don’t hurt you, you allow yourself to be hurt by others. Now maybe that is harsh, and wouldn’t be necessary if the world wasn’t such a cold and unforgiving place. But let’s face it, it is, and there’s nothing we can do about it. From that one day in third grade, to everyday to come I don’t let people get the power to bring me down. In the end, when its all said and done, and there’s no one around, just your reflection staring back at you, no one else’s opinion matters nor should it. That is why I believe in not caring what other people think about me. So let them talk, let them laugh behind my back, I couldn’t care less. Besides who gave them the right to judge any one?