Chelsea - Wylie, Texas
Themes: love

I have come to the realization that the word “love” has become as insignificant to people as the four letters in which it consists of. It is constantly thrown around, resulting in a loss of meaning and appreciation for the word at all. I believe real love takes hard work. It’s not easy to find or keep, but real love doesn’t give up.

In high school, students display love everyday. On either side of the halls, in the shadows beneath the staircases, and during the lunch periods, all the happy couples take pride in their relationship status, flaunting their love for everyone to see. One couple may hold hands every moment they can, while another couple might display PDA in the most conspicuous manner—kissing. Love in high school is merely the next step in a relationship. The four letter word is often times exchanged after the first month and soon becomes the standard way of ending any phone call.

From the moment I began my very first relationship, I was faced with the “L-word.” Within the first week, my boyfriend at the time said that he loved me just as we were about to end our phone call. I didn’t respond. Instead, I abruptly said bye and smashed the phone into the receiver. I couldn’t help but be overwhelmed with anger. I felt like my new relationship was a joke and would never amount to anything. I couldn’t understand how my “boyfriend” could honestly love me before he ever knew me. I knew he was just saying that he loved me in order to meet the typical high school protocol.

When a couple gets married, the two make the ultimate commitment of love. They vow that day, with their families and God as their witness, to remain faithful “’til death do [them] part.” Arguments and tough times should be expected just as the good times should. However, tough times are no reason to call it quits. Our generation today is one where one in three marriages end in divorce. I know more friends with four or more parents than with just their biological two like myself. However, isn’t a divorce just the more complicated, more expensive version of a high school break up? In both situations the couple runs into a problem due to unfaithfulness or just disagreement, and the only way they know to solve their problem is by ending their relationship entirely.

While I am still very young with only one real relationship under my belt, I do feel strongly on certain aspects of love simply by observation. I have seen love dissolve into nothing, and I have witnessed families torn apart. I sometimes wonder that if love is so difficult to obtain, does it really exist at all? If even my very own parents have problems in their relationship, is it really possible to find your one true sole mate? But I know love does exist. Real love is obtainable and promising.

Ours is a generation where love has become so convenient to obtain that I think we have forgotten what it’s really all about. It is a heartfelt, meaningful connection between two people who, together, fulfill one another’s desires and expectations. It does not come easy and it will never be placed in your hand. You have to work for what you want, and love is no exception.