Michael - Wylie, Texas

I believe in rock. I love its roaring crowds, brutal mosh pits, and spending three hours to get tickets to see your favorite band. Freedom is rock’s middle name. Artists have the ability to mold melody into whatever they want to with wood, strings, and a little bit of metal. This spontaneous creation may be something completely predictable and catchy or not something your average Joe would put on his favorite iPod playlist. These vigilant pioneers are my heroes and drive me to believe in what they do: Rock On. Most metal heads are still mourning over the loss of their dear friend Dimebag; yet our radios still blast his face melting solos. What I wouldn’t give to hear ole Stevie Ray shred on his #1 Strat back in Texas. These men literally rocked the foundation of music.

When I picked up my dad’s mighty axe for the first time I felt I had the power to do anything. The instrument I was holding had and still is clearing a path through uncharted territory of experiment, rejection, and glory. The fact that I could ride out my passion and desire for this expressive music and actually make it somewhere was amazing. Maybe some day I could be jamming at the House of Blues while hordes of fans scream the lyrics to our songs and just go absolutely nuts. And we’d get paid for living this awesome dream? All the sweeter.

I’ve held this rocker’s fantasy close to me ever since that day and has been my driving force every time I set up to play. I live for the wrenching feeling in your gut right before you play a gig, hoping everything goes as planned. Your mind is constantly reeling hoping that you remembered to plug in right, remember the songs, and that you don’t trip over your mic cable during the second set. If things go right you live another day; things go wrong; being booed off stage isn’t the best for your reputation. When you walk out from behind the curtain, you’re a different person. There should be pieces of you scattered across the stage by the end. If there isn’t, you’re not rocking hard enough. You’ve got to leave every bit of yourself out there. Whether you’re performing, listening, or even moshing, rock is a great place to be. We’re all here to just hear good music or have people hear yours. It is something that unites us all, in some small way, and that is why I believe in rock.